The Associated Press launched a collection of non-fungible tokens (NFTs) on Binance’s marketplace, according to a Binance press release.
- The collection, dubbed “Unique Moments,” features digitized versions of photos and news wires based on the AP’s reporting on historical moments of the last century. Examples include Japan’s World War II surrender, Nelson Mandela’s inauguration and the discovery of Pluto.
- The AP confirmed the news in a tweet late on Monday. The news agency didn’t respond to CoinDesk’s request for comment as of press time.
- The NFTs are available as mystery boxes, each priced at 29 BUSD (Binance’s stablecoin). There are four different levels of rarity, including normal, rare, super rare and super super rare.
- Buyers who collect one normal, one rare and one super rare item, but also don’t sell them until 11:59 p.m. UTC on Oct. 25 will have a shot at winning another NFT that “symbolizes the AP’s reach in the world.”
- The collection will be released at noon UTC time on Thursday, and each Binance account can buy up to 25 boxes.
- The collection is curated by Metalist Lab, an Australian NFT publisher that has previously worked with Chinese video game company NetEase. Metalist Lab announced the news on Oct. 8.
- Binance launched its NFT marketplace in June.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.