San Jose, Calif., which is sometimes called the “Capital of Silicon Valley,” plans to fund internet access for low-income families through HNT tokens mined on the Helium network, according to a city press release published on Thursday.
- The pilot program aims to give 1,300 participating households a one-time payment of $120 that they can use to pay for low-cost internet for one year.
- To fund those payments, the mayor’s Office of Technology and Innovation will install 20 Helium-compatible hotspots with volunteer residents and small businesses. The hotspots will mine HNT tokens for six months.
- Helium aims to provide wireless connectivity that doesn’t rely on centralized wireless carriers. Instead, it seeks to build a global peer-to-peer network of nodeshttps://nodes.com/ that power internet-of-things (IoT) devices. The network includes more than 200,000 nodes, according to the Helium website.
- Helium mining devices use 5 watts of energy to provide long-range wireless access to devices around them while earning HNT tokens. This type of connection cannot support devices like laptops or smartphones, but can work for IoT devices.
- The project is a partnership between the mayor’s office, Helium and the California Emerging Technology Fund.
- Helium raised $111 million in a token sale last month..
Read more: A16z Leads $111M Token Sale for Helium’s HNT
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.