Decentraland has made a strategic investment in decentralized autonomous organization (DAO) Decentral Games to support the project’s delivery of metaverse poker.
- The blockchain-based virtual world’s foundation has made an unspecified purchase of Decentral Games’ native token, $DG, according to an announcement shared with CoinDesk Thursday.
- The investment will support Decentral Games’ rollout of ICE Poker, a new metaverse-based poker game in which players earn money competing against each other and completing daily challenges.
- Players pay either $DG or ether to receive poker chips and a “wearable” – a non-fungible token (NFT) representing digital attire such as a suit and tie or dress shoes, akin to a dress code to enter a casino. Players can then play poker to earn $ICE tokens and the XP cryptocurrency, allowing them to mint rarer NFTs that earn higher rewards.
- The announcement came shortly after Decentral Games formed a similar strategic partnership with Polygon, in which the project behind an Ethereum-scaling product also invested an unspecified amount in Decentral Games to stake $DG tokens.
- Among Decentral Games’ investors is Digital Currency Group, the parent company of CoinDesk.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is an award-winning media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. In November 2023, CoinDesk was acquired by Bullish group, owner of Bullish, a regulated, institutional digital assets exchange. Bullish group is majority owned by Block.one; both groups have interests in a variety of blockchain and digital asset businesses and significant holdings of digital assets, including bitcoin. CoinDesk operates as an independent subsidiary, and an editorial committee, chaired by a former editor-in-chief of The Wall Street Journal, is being formed to support journalistic integrity.