BlackRock will join Axoni’s Veris blockchain network to manage equity swap trades, according to a statement by Axoni.
- Using Veris, parties can match and confirm trade terms upfront, and match and reconcile post-trade data after a stock swap, Axoni said.
- BlackRock will initially use Axoni’s software internally by integrating it with its own operating system, Aladdin, the press release said. The asset manager aims to make Veris available to its own clients in the future, according to the statement.
- Starting with equity swaps, Axoni will help BlackRock build ”scalability while mitigating risks in the investment life,” said the asset manager’s COO of Global Investment Operations Mark Cox.
- BlackRock will significantly improve the Veris network’s efficiency “by driving adoption of standardized post-trade swap data models and workflows,” said Carl Forsberg, head of OTC markets at Axoni.
- The market for equity forwards and swaps is close to $3.6 trillion, Bloomberg reported, citing Bank of International Settlements data.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.