- Code in Twitter’s latest beta suggests that support for bitcoin will be rolled out to the platform’s tipping service that was launched in May this year.
- The update indicates that users will be given a tutorial in bitcoin, including details on the Lightning Network and custodial vs. non-custodial wallets. It also tells users that a Strike account is required to use the feature.
- Integration between cryptocurrency and the social media platform has been a long-standing area of interest for the crypto community, given Twitter founder Jack Dorsey’s advocacy of bitcoin.
- Twitter has also recently advertised job vacancies in its payments division for senior legal counsel and chief compliance officer, both preferring experience in crypto.
- The chief compliance officer for payments will work “with legal counsel, conduct analysis of laws, standards and regulations which may apply or become applicable to Twitter’s products,” with cryptocurrency listed among the areas to which this may pertain.
- Meanwhile, the senior legal counsel-payments products listing notes that experience in “forms of payment, such as mobile carrier billing, cryptocurrency and e-wallets etc” is preferred for the role.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups.