Ripple Keeps Pumping Funds Into MoneyGram
All in, Ripple has funded the money sender to the tune of over $52 million for providing liquidity to one of its payments products.
Remittance firm MoneyGram continues to receive millions in "market development fees" from its investor, blockchain payments firm Ripple.
- According to MoneyGram's financial results for Q3 2020 posted Thursday, Ripple handed over $9.3 million over the period.
- After $0.4 million in "transaction and trading expenses," MoneyGram saw a net benefit of $8.9 million.
- The payment is the latest since Ripple, which provides several payments products aimed at financial institutions, invested $50 million in the money sender in November 2019.
- In Q2 2020, MoneyGram received $15.1 million for the same stated purpose.
- Previously, MoneyGram has described the market development fees as compensation for providing liquidity to Ripple's On-Demand Liquidity (ODL) network – its payments product using the XRP cryptocurrency to send money across borders.
- MoneyGram also received $16.6 million in Q1, and a total of $11.3 million in H2 2019.
- All in, Ripple has funded the firm to the tune of over $52 million for providing ODL liquidity.
- Back at the start of 2018, MoneyGram became one of the biggest firms to publicly say it was piloting XRP in its remittance services.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups. As part of their compensation, certain CoinDesk employees, including editorial employees, may receive exposure to DCG equity in the form of stock appreciation rights, which vest over a multi-year period. CoinDesk journalists are not allowed to purchase stock outright in DCG.
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.