CoinDesk’s Q1 2017 State of Blockchain summarizes key trends, data and events from 2017's first quarter.
- Aggregate cryptocurrency market cap hits all-time high of $25bn as every top 10 asset rallies.
- Bitcoin used more than ever with over 287,000 transactions per day, leading to .92 MB blocks and $0.62 transaction fees.
- Ethereum gains $3.6bn or 500% in market cap as transaction numbers rise and enterprises display interest publicly.
- Early sectors become more defined as developer and investor interest grows, including privacy based cryptocurrencies, asset management platforms and prediction markets.
- Hyperledger grows in enterprise membership, proofs of concept and frameworks, Enterprise Ethereum Alliance launches with industry leaders and a vision of interoperability between permissioned and public ethereum.
- Blockchain venture capital totaled $107m, ICOs totaled $36m with several major deals on the horizon.
- Regulation makes a large impact on cryptocurrency markets as the U.S. SEC rejects 2 ETFs, PBoC warnings lead to global volume crash and Chinese 'Big 3' instituting trading fees, Japan sees bitcoin as legal payment method.
- 'Bitcoin and Ethereum Sentiment'
- 'Iranian Blockchain Sentiment'
- 'CoinDesk Releases 'State of Blockchain' Q1 2017 Research Report'
- 'Bitcoin's Network is Objectively More Congested Than Ever'
- 'ICO Investments Pass VC Funding in Blockchain Market First'
- '3 Reasons the Cryptocurrency Exchange Market Is Maturing'
- 'Enthusiasm for Ethereum Hits an All-Time High'
CoinDesk’s research analyst Alex Sunnarborg debut the presentation at Consensus 2017.
Media mentions include:
- The New York Times: 'Move Over, Bitcoin. Ether Is the Digital Currency of the Moment.'
- Quartz: 'Ethereum unleashed the 'initial coin offering' craze, but it can’t handle its insane success'
- The Outline: 'The latest cryptocurrency frenzy is fueled by FOMO'
- Investopedia: 'Blockchain ICO Offerings Have Outpaced VC Funding This Year'
- Moneycontrol: 'Rise of Ethereum: Why this cryptocurrency skyrocketed 3000% in 2017'
- Bank Innovation: 'ICOs Over VCs, Blockchain Investors Say'
- TechSpot: 'Cryptocurrency valuations still rising'
- SD Times: 'New data finds ICO investments pass venture capital funding in blockchain market'